living a well tended life... at any age

mason jar mix #1: chocolate chip cookies!

As you know, I am NOT a fan of the birthday party goody bag (you can read my mini-rant in this post).

And since Noah’s birthday falls out during the winter, I try to come up with favors that offer a temporary cure for that dreaded cabin fever.

mason jar cookie  mix

This year I decided to do a cookie mix packed up in a mason jar (because: Pinterest).

If I’m being totally honest, I was as smitten with the presentation factor (because: sand art) as I was with the prospect of kids making cookies with their parents. Not everyone bakes, and I loved the idea of sending home a pre-measured kit that would make the “getting to the fun part” happen that much quicker.

I chose traditional chocolate chip cookies but you could adapt this project to any favorite recipe!

The key to getting all the ingredients to fit – and a clean, neat look – is tamping down each layer. I MacGyvered a tool using a chopstick and a piece of thick cardboard covered in foil, and it worked like a charm.

mason jar cookie  mix

mason jar cookie  mix

015

mason jar cookie  mix

You can click here for the printable recipe to accompany the jars, along with the labels I created for the lids.

mason jar cookie  mix

mason jar cookie  mix

Needless to say, these would be great for SO many occasions – teacher gifts, Valentine’s Day (replace the chocolate chips with pink, red and white M&M’s), hostess or housewarming gifts. Have fun!

Mason Jar Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
from Nestle

For every one-quart jar, you will need:

1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
1/2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. (packed) dark brown sugar
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl – pour into your mason jar (I found a canning funnel to be VERY useful – especially since I was making a bunch of these babies! I got the one pictured above for about two dollars at Chef Central).

Using your “tool”, tamp the flour mixture down till it is firmly packed and level. Repeat with the white sugar, followed by the brown sugar – tamping down each layer.

Add the chocolate chips and seal the jar.

(print this recipe)

This delicious recipe brought to you by Sheri Silver

And here are the instructions, in case you don’t want to print out the labels:

Preheat oven to 375; remove chocolate chips & set aside. Beat 3/4 c. softened butter, 1 large egg & 3/4 t. vanilla in large mixer bowl until blended. Add cookie mix & beat until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 9 – 11 minutes or till golden brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Need more mason jar inspiration?

Mason Jar Blender Hack

Mason Jar Pour Spout

1. Shalagh Hogan on February 5, 2015 at 5:37 pm

May I just applaud your MacGyvering? And how cute is this? What keeps me from making stuff with my kid? Getting the recipe out, measuring the ingredients, and softening the butter. You’ve got two out of three covered.
    Thanks Sheri.
    Love,
    Shalagh

2. Leilah on November 13, 2015 at 9:10 am

Hi
    Do you perhaps know how long these will last if stored in cool place. 6 months?

3. marisa on December 2, 2015 at 5:36 pm

What size mason jar?

4. Cecilia on December 21, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and design.
    I recently made the the cookies jars for my son’s birthday party and everybody loved it.
    Happy Holidays!

• sherisilver on December 21, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Oh fabulous! I’m so glad – thanks for writing and happy holidays to you too!

5. rachel on December 24, 2015 at 1:28 am

i’m not sure what i did wrong, but i’m having troubles fitting all the ingredients into the jar. ( can’t fit the last half cup of chocolate chips). I feel like i have too much flour??

• sherisilver on December 24, 2015 at 7:39 am

You might have too much flour. If you measure using standard measuring cups, dip the cup in and (without shaking the cup or tamping down the flour), swipe off the excess with a knife. Also I found that I really had to tamp down the dry ingredients in the jar – more than I thought. I hope that helps! 🙂

• sherisilver on December 24, 2015 at 7:39 am

You might have too much flour. If you measure using standard measuring cups, dip the cup in and (without shaking the cup or tamping down the flour), swipe off the excess with a knife. Also I found that I really had to tamp down the dry ingredients – more than I thought. I hope that helps! 🙂

6. Tanvi on February 2, 2016 at 11:47 am

Can we replace the egg with something?

• sherisilver on February 2, 2016 at 2:50 pm

I’ve never tried it – but you could try applesauce or a powdered egg replacer (like Ener G) – let me know if you try!

7. Carly on February 19, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Hello! Do you think if we wanted to do this same recipe in a pint jar, which is half of a quart, we could cut the recipe in half and things would come out alright?

• sherisilver on February 19, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I typically avoid halving baking recipes (much easier to double!), but chocolate chip cookies are pretty forgiving – maybe do a “test batch” to be sure? If you do this and it works please let me know; I’ll add this to the post! 🙂

8. Dawn on May 6, 2016 at 2:47 pm

I’m so excited to make these for Mother’s Day gifts to go along with their other things!

Just wondering the temperature to bake at? (I’m not much of a baker myself)

Thank You!

• sherisilver on May 6, 2016 at 5:23 pm

What a great gift! 🙂 The directions are all the way at the bottom; baking temperature is 375!

9. Jill on October 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Sheri,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! They make wonderful, thoughtful gifts. I just finished them. Having a breakfast in 2 days at my house and now I have gifts for everyone. Glad you shared!!!

• sherisilver on October 17, 2016 at 8:39 pm

You are SO welcome! Planning my son’s upcoming birthday and totally doing these again; they were such a big hit! Thank you for writing! 🙂