living a well tended life... at any age

d.i.y.: homemade sprinkles

Don’t judge.

It’s not like that.

homemade sprinkles

homemade sprinkles

homemade sprinkles

homemade sprinkles

I just love sprinkles – they’re my very favorite ice cream topping – which should be no surprise since I love, love all things sugar. They’re sweet, crunchy, sugary and pretty. And you should make them too – here’s why:

1. Have you seen the ingredients in commercial sprinkles? Carnauba wax? Cellulose gum?  Trust me, there is truly no comparison between something artificial and commercially produced versus something – anything – homemade.

2. You can customize the color to match your party theme, school colors, or a child’s favorite shade. How cool is that?

3. You can flavor them (mint? vanilla? lemon?).

4. How awesome is it going to feel when you tell your friends, “Yeah, I made the sprinkles. No biggie.” (It will be hard not to smirk as you say this. Try not to smirk.)

homemade sprinkles

You with me? Good! So, without further ado………..SPRINKLES (click here for chocolate sprinkles)!

Oh – just one more thing – I indulged my baking geek and bought a specialty tip for this recipe – specifically, a Wilton #134:

homemade sprinkles

But you could also use a tip with a small single hole (like a Wilton #2), with equally great results.

Homemade Sprinkles (click here for chocolate sprinkles!)
adapted from The Kitchn

2 cups (4 ounces) confectioner’s sugar (+ more if needed)
1 teaspoon Just Egg Whites
1 tablespoon warm water (+ more, if needed)
1/4 teaspoon flavoring or extract of choice – vanilla, almond,  etc.
Pinch of salt
Food coloring

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.

Sift the confectioner’s sugar into a medium bowl. Do not skip this step, as even the tiniest clump of sugar will clog your piping tip.

In a small bowl whisk Just Egg Whites with water till foamy. Whisk in extract and salt. Add to sugar and whisk till smooth. It’s a little tricky to get the right consistency – you don’t want it to be at all liquid or “pourable” – it should be smooth but very thick, so that the lines don’t spread when you pipe them out. If it’s too thick you can add more water (in 1/2 teaspoon increments) – if too thin, add more sugar.

Using your food coloring, tint the icing till you achieve the desired shade – you can even divide it to create multiple hues.

Place the icing in a pastry bag fitted with your tip. Pipe out icing on prepared baking sheets. Don’t worry if the lines aren’t perfectly straight, or if there are breaks as you pipe them out.

Let the icing dry – uncovered, at room temperature – for a full 24 hours.

Lift the parchment paper off the baking sheet and place onto a cutting board. Slowly curl the paper up and away from the icing lines to release. Gently slip them onto the cutting board and discard the paper.

Line them all up and chop into desired lengths. Use immediately or store in an airtight container.

(print this recipe)

This delicious recipe brought to you by Sheri Silver

1. Sandra on May 25, 2012 at 7:56 am

Great idea and SOOO much easier than I would have expected! Love that you can flavour them too.

• sheri silver on May 25, 2012 at 9:23 am

YES! I was shocked too – and happy! 🙂

2. Jill V / TerraSavvy on May 25, 2012 at 8:05 am

I too LOVE sprinkles but refuse to buy them because of the ingredients!

I love you for this – xo

• sheri silver on May 25, 2012 at 9:23 am

I had a feeling you’d like this one – so glad I was right! xo

3. Sara on May 25, 2012 at 9:46 am

This means that I can make them for my man … his corn allergy means no processed sweets, I make my own confectioner’s sugar anyway. Thanks for sharing!

• sheri silver on May 25, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Yay! Let me know how they turn out! xo

4. jen on May 25, 2012 at 10:11 am

you are so clever….but i shouldn’t say that too loud so it goes to your head 😉

• sheri silver on May 25, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Too late………….xo

• Kathy on May 14, 2014 at 11:04 pm

What an absolute awesome trick to learn! I am so excited to try this. I hate even looking at the ingredients in store bought sprinkles. Thanks a million

5. Hotly Spiced on May 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm

What a great idea. I don’t think I can buy that attachment here in Oz but I’m sure I could get it on-line! Have a great weekend Sheri and thanks for showing me something new xx

• sheri silver on May 25, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Yes! I put the link on the blog – I love it! 🙂

6. Jennifer (Savor) on May 26, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I am soooooo on this…..like sprinkles to ice cream.

7. Kate on May 30, 2012 at 12:43 pm

SO cool! Do they have the same consistency as store-bought sprinkles, or are they crunchier? I saw your ombre sprinkle picture on Instagram – beautiful!

• sherisilver on May 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Crunchier! No comparison to store-bought and you can vary the flavor with different extracts! 🙂

8. doreen on May 14, 2014 at 2:52 pm

you can also make into other shapes, like squiggles, swirls and whatnot. I wish i had pics of some i made last month….used them all, lol

9. Amarylis on May 15, 2014 at 1:54 am

That’s awesome! Will add some bit of color to a chocolate cake, the kids are going to luv this!! Thanks for sharing!!!

10. Debbie on May 15, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Great idea! Seems like you could use a new garlic press for this too. An old one might still retain some odor or taste of garlic.

• sherisilver on May 15, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Ooh – never thought of that! Great idea!

11. Becka on May 16, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Wow, I love this!! Never thought of making my own sprinkles before!
    Could you sub real egg white for the “Just Egg White”? And if so, would you use the same amount? I’ve never seen “Just Egg White” here!

• sherisilver on May 16, 2014 at 6:00 pm

You could – for safety reasons I used the egg white substitute. Two teaspoons of of “Just Whites” is the equivalent of 1 regular egg white. So you’d want to use half of an egg white in the recipe. Let me know how they turn out!

12. Wannabemolly on May 30, 2014 at 7:41 pm

How long do they store for? Do they need refrigerated since it has egg whites in it?

• sherisilver on May 30, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I use powdered egg whites (which allows the sprinkles to be stored indefinitely) for that reason. Any recipe I’ve seen for sprinkles indicates that as long as they’re stored in an airtight container that they will keep indefinitely – regardless of real or powdered whites. If you’re antsy about storing egg whites at room temp then I’d put them in the fridge; I’m not sure how the texture will be affected though. Let me know what you wind up doing!

13. Kat on July 27, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I half expected to see a grater or potato ricer had been used for this – now I’m wondering what effects could be achieved using kids’ play-doh extruders. I may just have to buy some and find out. I can always pass them along to my grandson if they don’t work out! Do you think I could stiffen the mix a little with more sugar or with a bit of cornstarch, then slice stars etc. from an extruded shape?

• sherisilver on July 28, 2014 at 9:23 am

Interesting idea! I think that the recipe is very adaptable and you could probably stiffen it with more sugar – let me know if you do and how it turns out!

14. Sissy RC on July 27, 2014 at 11:57 pm

How can I make chocolate jimmies??

15. Dana on July 30, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Are. “Just Whites” a powdered substitute? None of my local store carry it. Thanks!

• sherisilver on July 31, 2014 at 10:15 am

Yes – it’s a powdered egg white substitute – pasteurized and kept at room temp. You can absolutely use egg whites instead, I include that for those who are reluctant to use raw egg.

16. Terri on July 31, 2014 at 12:07 am

17. tammigirl on August 1, 2014 at 7:31 am

I’m hoping this gets me on your email list. 🙂

Loved this easy, better way to have sprinkles – thanks!

• sherisilver on August 1, 2014 at 7:58 am

Ugh – saw your tweet – working on it right now!!!

18. Pena on August 3, 2014 at 5:38 am

Hi! I’m Finnish so I just have to ask what the small t and big T stand for in recipes? I go to a fricking culinary school and I still have no idea, because our English teacher isn’t actually an English teacher (for example she thinks that the american “cup” stands for a coffee cup and nobody would believe me when I said that a cup is 2,4dl, because I’m the youngest in my class).

I really need to make sprinkles for my next bday cake, I don’t normally even like sprinkles, but maybe I will if I make them by myself.

• sherisilver on August 3, 2014 at 9:01 am

Gah! Sorry! Small “t” is teaspoon, large “T” is tablespoon! Hope this helps! 🙂

• Tina on August 8, 2014 at 2:47 pm

The metric conversion would be 5ml and 15 ml respectively. 🙂
        Cant wait to try this!

• Ingrid on January 4, 2015 at 11:18 am

Yes, a cup has a standard measurement in US. It’s 8 oz. I am from Uruguay and some people would tell me the same thing.. it’s just a cup. I knew in baking things need to be precise. Coffee cups can be many sizes, so you are right 🙂

19. Cody on August 16, 2014 at 6:44 pm

If you use a real egg white instead of the “Just Whites” do u take out the water? Or do u still need to use it?

• sherisilver on August 17, 2014 at 10:51 am

Yes you can skip the water – you made need a little to thin out the mixture if it’s too thick!

20. Clair on October 21, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Just a thought, but could you make a thicker frosting like fondant and push it through a sieve? Have no need for sprinkles right now or I would try it!

• sherisilver on October 21, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Ooh – good idea – or a potato ricer! 🙂

21. Ingrid on January 3, 2015 at 7:18 pm

I’m going to try and flavor them with anis. Thanks for the idea 🙂

• sherisilver on January 4, 2015 at 8:47 am

Ooh – that’s a great idea! Let me know how they turn out!

22. Noora on January 10, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Where do u get the Wilton #134

23. Lisa on January 26, 2015 at 9:28 am

What is the texture like? Are they very different from the store bought kind? They look so fun!

• sherisilver on January 26, 2015 at 3:22 pm

They’re surprisingly similar – the texture is “crispier” (?) and has more of a snap than the store bought kind. Give them a try! 🙂

24. Becky on February 1, 2015 at 9:13 am

Very cool. I am very impressed. I’m so glad that that I stumbled across your blog. I’m trying to conquer my unnatural fear of baking and I think you are going to help tremendously. Lol. Thanks for sharing.

• sherisilver on February 1, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Yay! So glad you found me too – and feel free to ask ANY questions you ever have. I’m self-taught and have learned a lot but made a ton of mistakes too! 🙂

25. Sherrie Mae on February 26, 2015 at 10:09 pm

A big HI Sheri! (From Sherrie of the Philippines) I’m not sure if someone asked this already but may I know how much would the recipe yield? It’s not like there’s such a thing as ‘too much sprinkles’ 😉 I just had to ask so that I’ll know if I have to double the recipe if I need more. Thanks a lot. (And thanks for this wonderful tip.)

• sherisilver on February 27, 2015 at 7:24 am

Hi Sherrie! I don’t remember how much this recipe yields so I can’t say for sure. I’m making another batch soon and will update the post when I do (if you get there first let me know!). Thanks for writing! 🙂

26. Jenn on March 10, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I’m so excited about homemade sprinkles for the same reasons as most. I just made my first batch, and I was wondering if you know if I could use these sprinkles to make a funfetti cake. Thanks! 🙂

• sherisilver on March 10, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Yay! Yes – you can use the sprinkles just like you would the store bought kind. Send me a picture! 🙂

• Jenn on March 10, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Oh great! Thanks for getting back so quickly! I can’t wait to make the cake! I’ll surely send a picture. 🙂

• Jenn on March 14, 2015 at 12:13 pm

So I tried the sprinkles in a funfetti cupcake, and they didn’t do so great. When I cut open the cupcake I could only see a couple dots of color even though I put plenty of sprinkles in the batter. I still love the sprinkles, and I’m going to decorate the top of the cupcakes for my son’s first birthday tomorrow. 🙂

• sherisilver on March 15, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Oh no! I did do my research before answering and was certain that you could bake with them – so sorry! Would still love to see a pic! 🙂

• Jenn on March 15, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Hi again. Today was the big party, and the cupcakes looked wonderful, thanks entirely to the homemade sprinkles. I have a picture, but I’m not sure how to share it with you. There isn’t a way, that I’m aware of, to upload it in a comment.

• sherisilver on March 15, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Yay! E-mail it to me at Sheri at sherisilver dot com. I’ll put it in the comments!

• NiQue Williams on December 19, 2015 at 11:31 am

Hello, Hello Jenn!!
          Ik I’m a little late to the comments section, but I’ll bet what happened is:
          As you baked the cupcakes with the sprinkles inside, the heat sort of “liquefied” them into what you’d typically see in sweet “drizzle”/icing (the kind you may see atop cinnamon rolls and the like)… and the little “dots” you saw was simply the lingering coloring used in the sprinkles.
          Regular (store bought/icky) sprinkles add a variety of “waxy” preservatives with a higher melting point than plain confectioners sugar and egg whites, etc.
          I’ve even seen sprinkles that included ingredients like beeswax to maintain the solid state in baking…
          But enuff rambling from me, LoL…
          I’m just guessing that the homemade jimmies turned to delicious flavored icing as it baked, is all.
          (Didn’t mean to sound preachy and nerdy if I did, haha… I was just guessing based on an experience I’d had with homemade fondant-based sprinkles I’d purchased from a bakery years ago and my grandfather (a chef of 30+ years) explained the problem to me (in DETAIL, haha) when I was near tears out of frustration when my goodies continually failed)…
          So I thought what I’d learned may apply here too 😉

Happiest of Holidays Guys!!!
          (Aaaaaannnndddd TY TY TY AGAIN, Sheri for your lifesaving recipes/goodies!!!)

• sherisilver on December 19, 2015 at 2:11 pm

This “might” be my favorite comment. Ever. 😉

27. Jen on March 17, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Hmmmm. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. My mixture never got smooth – it just formed into little white balls. I tried adding water twice and it didn’t help. Any thoughts? I really want to make this for my daughter’s first birthday. 🙁

• sherisilver on March 18, 2015 at 7:29 am

Ugh – I’m sorry to hear that – I’ve never had that happen! Did you sift the sugar? It’s critical for this recipe. Also, your sugar might be extra “dry”. Start with less sugar and add more – a little at a time – till you get the right consistency. Let me know what happens!

• Jen on March 25, 2015 at 10:33 am

Sorry I forgot to update! I tried again, adding the sugar a little at a time, and it worked. 🙂

• sherisilver on March 25, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Woo hoo! Thanks for letting me know! 🙂

28. Yadi on March 30, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Any update on how many ounces or cups of sprinkles this recipe makes? Making a sprinkle cake in a few weeks 🙂
    ~Thanks!

• Yadi on March 30, 2015 at 3:35 pm

And also those are the exact colors I need! What colors did you use?!

• sherisilver on March 30, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Ugh – I wish I had exact answers for you – I’m planning another batch soon and will make note of the final amounts! As for the colors, I just eyeballed using gel paste food color – good luck!

29. Frida on April 15, 2015 at 12:14 pm

I LOVE THE INTERNET!

And I love that there’s people like you out there, willing to share ideas, tips and tricks.

Hugs
    Frida
    Denmark

• sherisilver on April 15, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Hugs back Frida – thank you! And tune in tomorrow, ’cause……………CHOCOLATE SPRINKLES!!!!

30. Shelley on May 7, 2015 at 7:04 pm

I’m being lazy lol
    Is this basically royal icing?

• sherisilver on May 7, 2015 at 8:30 pm

I’ve had this thought many a time myself. 😉

31. Carol on May 7, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Do you have to worry about salmonella using egg whites?

• sherisilver on May 7, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Just Egg Whites is powdered pasteurized egg whites so no need to worry! 🙂

• Carol on May 8, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Great!!!

32. shell on May 8, 2015 at 2:35 am

Is the powdered egg whites you use the same thing as meringue powder?

• sherisilver on May 8, 2015 at 6:48 am

Not exactly – some (if not all) meringue powders contain sugar and/or cornstarch. Powdered egg whites are just egg whites. I hope that helps!

33. Lulu on May 8, 2015 at 5:48 pm

What does one T mean?
    Like in one t of egg whites?

• sherisilver on May 8, 2015 at 8:29 pm

“T” is tablespoon, “t” is teaspoon – I just adjusted the instructions to (hopefully!) clarify! 🙂

34. Karen on June 16, 2015 at 4:06 pm

This is perfect! I have a 5 year old granddaughter who lives for sprinkles. Funny thing is that every time she visits, I take her for donuts (with sprinkles), I make dresses for her and she is constantly covered in dirt. This blog was made for me. LOL

• sherisilver on June 16, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Ha! I love this. Thanks so much! 🙂

35. Kylie on June 26, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Hi

This idea was passed on to me buy my mother as my kids love sprinkles. But i used the recipie but let the kids draw and make the patterns and when it drys we will cut them up to eat for lunch. Kids are excited. So thankyou for the recipie and great craft/cooking experience.

• sherisilver on June 26, 2015 at 10:37 pm

What a great idea – so glad you liked it! 🙂

36. Rebecca Politzer on November 20, 2015 at 7:05 pm

though most ingredient fear is bs it’s still nice to be able to control what goes into food, i also think these probably taste better than something with wax in it food safe or not

• sherisilver on November 20, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Oh they taste SO much better! 🙂

37. Diana on February 20, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Love this helpful recepie. Super awesome post. Please share all ur fabulous recepies. I am wanting to save money on decos and making my own is even better to learn. Thankz!

38. alexandra on April 25, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Any idea roughly how much this mix makes?
    Thanks

• sherisilver on April 26, 2016 at 9:12 am

I’ve never measured but I believe it’s 1 – 2 cups!

39. Becky Krenek on February 20, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Hi, can these be mixed into a white cake to make your own confetti cake? I have made several custom confetti cakes using different colors of jimmies or sprinkles. This would be great to be able to make exactly the colors I want.

• sherisilver on February 20, 2017 at 9:55 pm

I don’t know what would happen if baked – I’ve never done that before and would be concerned that they would bleed. That said, could you do a test batch (like with a cupcake)? Let me know if you try it and how it turns out!!!