living a well tended life... at any age

favor-“ette”: a baked goods tip

So do you ever find yourself baking late at night, and then wondering what to do about that still-warm sheet of cookies/pan of brownies/tin of pie?

Go to bed.

It’s ill-advised toΒ cover hot or warm baked goods using traditional wrappings (plastic, tin foil, etc.). Steam and/or condensation will form – even if there’s just a bit of warmth emanating – and this will result in soggy cookies/brownies/pie. Sad face.

dish towel over warm baked goods

What you CAN do is use a clean dish towel – simply drape it over your pan or sheet. Your baked goods will stay fresh overnight, and no worries about steam forming.

This tip is so second-nature to me that it’s taken me till now to realize that some of you may not know it (#oops).

My Grandma Fay taught me this one (like she taught me pretty much everything I know about baking), and it works perfectly (click here and here for two more uses for kitchen towels)!

dish towel over warm baked goods

Oh – and look for those brownies later this week – it’s the last popsicle of the season (welp) and it’s a good one!

Did you know that I have Pinterest boards with all of my “favor-ettes” and kitchen tips? Check ’em!

1. Ross Grandel on December 3, 2017 at 9:57 pm

So I always thought one removes baking from the pan and covers it with a towel. Is this also an acceptable overnight option? I did it with banana bread. I might put the bread back in the pan now.

• sherisilver on December 4, 2017 at 9:48 am

Yes – either works! If you can get it out of the pan, perfect. And cover with the towel if it’s still not completely cool by the time you need to leave the kitchen. No need to put it back in the pan! πŸ™‚

2. Mikayla R Lewis on February 13, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Thank you, I’m so tired, my brownies are still hot, and this article is exactly what I was looking for exactly when I needed it. Bless you oh my gosh, I’m so tired

• sherisilver on February 14, 2018 at 7:09 am

We’re SO TIRED!!!! Glad I could help (can’t tell you how many times this is me…..) πŸ™‚

3. Natalie J Gifford on April 1, 2018 at 3:06 am

Thank you so much! I literally have the exact same towels draped over my freshly baked rolls that are for Easter dinner tomorrow. I kept going back and forth wondering if I should leave them that way or cover them with something else. And then I found your article. Thank you!

• sherisilver on April 1, 2018 at 8:47 am

That’s so great! Let me know if it works and Happy Easter! πŸ™‚

4. Heather on April 11, 2018 at 9:44 pm

Thank you! Just what I was looking for.

5. Glenda Schuneman on May 9, 2018 at 12:13 am

Thank you for posting this tip! I just baked a batch late at night and was struggling with staying awake…I decided to Google and there your tip was! Thank you!!

• sherisilver on May 9, 2018 at 11:03 am

Yay! So glad you found it; it’s been a lifesaver for me many times! πŸ™‚

6. Jim on May 23, 2018 at 2:47 am

Yes very helpful for this guy at 1:44 AM hoping to surprise my wife and daughter tomorrow morning. Just exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

• sherisilver on May 23, 2018 at 10:43 am

Amazing – hope they enjoyed! πŸ™‚

7. Olivia on June 4, 2018 at 1:24 am

Glad.to know I’ve been doing something right and it’s perfectly sanitary and safe to let baked goods cool under the clean dishrag over night! Much appreciation for post.

8. Jodi on June 11, 2018 at 6:00 pm

Will that work for kiffles baked at night?

• sherisilver on June 11, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Okay – first I had to look up what a kiffle was! πŸ™‚ I would imagine it would be fine. Baked goods can keep for a day, right? Would you let me know if you try it?

9. Marissa on July 18, 2018 at 10:44 pm

Also just what I was looking for! Seems like your article has been really helpful for a lot of us! Thank you!

• sherisilver on July 19, 2018 at 7:25 am

I’m so glad – it’s the little things, right? Thanks for writing! πŸ™‚

10. Sandra on August 14, 2018 at 10:43 pm

Brilliant!! I’m exhausted and covered my bread with tin foil then second guessed myself and here was just the answer I needed!!

• sherisilver on August 15, 2018 at 7:32 am

Oh yay! I love things that are simple yet make such a difference; thanks for writing!

11. Lee A Silva on August 25, 2018 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for the information about the towel I am in my sixtys and have put a towel over the bread ever since I was a teenager making it because my mom had done it and for some reason today when I put the towel over the bread I started thinking why did my mom do this so I googled the question and there was your answer. It’s funny how sometimes you do things because that’s how your mom did it why I waited 50 years to ask I don’t know why lol my mom would be 102 now if she were still alive and as I look back at things I do in the I know a lot of them are because my mom did them that way I just wish she was still here to cook with me I learned a lot from her and today I learned from you thank you. Lee

• sherisilver on August 25, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Thanks for writing Lee! So many little things we do because “Mom” or “Grandma” did it that way. Your mom would be proud! πŸ™‚

12. Christine on September 15, 2018 at 12:15 am

Thanks for this tip! It’s past midnight and my pumpkin bread just came out of the oven. It says to cook for an hour! Now I can throw a towel over it and go to bed! Thank you!!

• sherisilver on September 15, 2018 at 8:30 am

Awesome! It’s such a good tip. Thanks for writing! πŸ™‚

• Amy on November 20, 2018 at 12:50 am

Same right now!!! Yay for sleep.

13. Rach Rad on September 21, 2018 at 5:32 am

I am cracking up, because I like all the others here was in the exact same situation. It’s late, banana bread muffins for school, foil was getting a little steamy, second guessing what in the world to do…and yep here’s the exact answer. Go. To. Bed. With towel over. You someone should be getting paid for this seemingly simple technique. Thhhhank you for even thinking to share it.

• sherisilver on September 21, 2018 at 6:57 am

Yay! I’m so glad this helped, and that you were able to go to bed with peace of mind! My grandma was the best. πŸ™‚