living a well tended life... at any age

the perfect jean

It’s official: my skinny jeans “moment” has officially passed.

I’m so relieved.

I was late to the trend anyway (finally giving in at the urging of my fashion consultant daughter), and never really got into it. I mean, seriously – are they jeans? Are they leggings?  And could they BE more uncomfortable? Too low cut. No circulation below the knees. Can’t tuck a shirt in.

So while I still wear them occasionally, I have moved on.

Meet my new love:

Matchstick jean in classic rinse wash

photo credit: J. Crew

I was in J. Crew, looking to spend a gift card I had been holding on to forever (am I the only one who does that?), when a saleswoman suggested I try on these jeans. And while they cost more than I would normally spend (the gift card definitely helped), they are SO versatile that I pull them out easily three to four times a week.

Here are just a few looks:
j. crew matchstick jeans

Love the high cuff and sneakers – makes me feel very Audrey (sneakers: Bensimon)

j. crew matchstick jeans

The leg cut also works well with a tight roll for that slouchy “boyfriend” look (shoes: J. Crew, similar here)

j. crew matchstick jeans

Dressed up with heels (shoes: J. Crew, similar here and here)

The waist is low enough to be fashionable (I will NOT wear mom jeans, I will NOT wear mom jeans), but high enough to be comfortable (and in my opinion, way more flattering to most). The higher waist also means I have the option to wear a tucked-in shirt or blouse, and even a belt (try that with skinny jeans!). And they have that magic ingredient – spandex – that is every girl’s best friend.

j. crew matchstick jeans

Look ma, my shirt’s tucked in! (shirt: Madewell/belt: Gap, similar here)

I recommend the dark wash for maximum versatility, as they look a little dressier than a faded rinse.

How about you – is there an item that you get frustrated shopping for (other than bathing suits, obviously…)?

And finally – can someone PLEASE explain jeggings?

1. jenny - sugar loco on November 7, 2012 at 7:37 am

Those are so cute! They’re borderline skinnies, which I admit, I live in Skinny jeans. They are more comfortable to me – actually I found I love H&M’s (and they’re inexpensive too)

• sherisilver on November 7, 2012 at 7:57 am

That’ what everyone kept telling me – “they’re SO comfortable!”It must be me…. 🙂

2. Sara on November 7, 2012 at 8:05 am

It’s not just you … straight leg jeans are my go to when I am not working.

• sherisilver on November 7, 2012 at 8:07 am

Glad to hear that! xo

3. Kate on November 8, 2012 at 4:24 am

I got a pair or Matchsticks a few months ago and love them! I agree, they’re a bit spendy, but compared to designer jeans they seem downright reasonable. They look great on you!

4. Kate on November 8, 2012 at 4:25 am

*of

Maybe commenting from my iPhone at 4:30 am wasn’t the wisest idea 🙂

• sherisilver on November 8, 2012 at 7:07 am

Ha! Love that….

5. Marti on November 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I am so glad you posted this!! Yay – Now I know what to try on at J Crew. You described everything I’ve wanting in a skinny jean but regardless of the type/style jeans are my most dreaded when it comes to buying clothes.
    BTW I also hold on to gift cards I have two that will expire next month errrhhh!!
    Marti

• sherisilver on November 8, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Oh good! I know, WHY do we do that? It’s like I don’t want to “waste” it!!

6. Lisa on November 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Sheri, finding the right kind of jeans has been an ongoing problem for me, too! As I’m writing this, I’m wearing black H&M skinny jeans, which I’ve loved in many ways. But I definitely refrain from even trying to get into them on mornings I feel like I may have indulged a little too much the day before. And getting out of them at the end of the day is such a pain! It looks like you’ve found the perfect combination of trendy/cool/classy and comfortable – I love your choice! Congratulations on the new find!

• sherisilver on November 11, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Hey you! Thanks so much! So glad to know I’m not the only one out there with (ahem)”issues”! xo

7. Megan on November 15, 2012 at 8:47 am

I agree with the skinny jeans and I found a great pair of slim jeans (really? slim? yes, they are just ever so slightly less restrictive) but then I decided that I really didn’t need pants in my life… oddly enough I published my no pants declaration today 🙂 http://hellobougeotte.blogspot.fr/2012/11/no-pants-movement.html

• sherisilver on November 16, 2012 at 9:40 am

Megan I LOVED your post (and am off to check out that tights web site stat!) – I love my dresses too, and wear them OVER my jeans all the time! 🙂

• Megan on November 16, 2012 at 9:55 am

Thanks for reading my declaration, now it makes it official since it has been ‘witnessed’ 🙂 Happy Friday.

• sherisilver on November 16, 2012 at 8:23 pm

You betcha – I’ll be watching you!! 😉

8. Stacey on July 3, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Hi there, I cannot get these jeans in the city I live now. And I’m not into online shopping. Does anyone have sggestions about what other brands for the same?

• sherisilver on July 3, 2017 at 7:12 pm

If you don’t like to shop on-line try Old Navy or Abercrombie – both have a wide selection of well-priced denim!