living a well tended life... at any age

day tripper

My weekly outing with Noah was less “let’s do something fun that Noah will love”, and more “Chelsea’s home for spring break and I really want to go here. And Noah will get a cookie out of the deal”.

I know you’ll understand.

The town of Hudson is about 2 hours from my home. I had read a number of articles about it over the years – great antique stores, art galleries, numerous historic homes and buildings –  and knew it would make for a great day trip.

hudson, new york

And then I read this article about Café le Perche.

We were SO going.

Café le Perche is a beautiful bakery/café right in the center of town. The owner actually imported a massive oven from the Le Perche region of France, to properly recreate the baguettes he sampled there. I was impressed, and more than a little intrigued.

cafe le perche, hudson, new york

Our hostess invited us to take a peek at the oven while we were waiting for our lunch – it is truly awesome. It is so enormous that it sits in a separate carriage house behind the bakery, housed in imported French-made bricks (naturally). We learned that when the oven needs to be cleaned they have to close the bakery because it takes 10 days for it to cool down!

cafe le perche, hudson, new york

We sat in the cafe’s cozy back room and had a delicious lunch of salads, cookies, and yes – the BEST croissant I’ve ever had.

cafe le perche, hudson, new york

We had planned to explore the town after lunch – Hudson is called a “dictionary of architectural history in New York State”, with hundreds of buildings representing every architectural style of the past 300 years. But it was incredibly cold and windy so we just took a short stroll and then drove around a bit before heading home.

I fell in love with the town – great galleries and antique stores, small independent shops, and the architecture! Hours later Noah was still shouting out “Oh my god – look at that building!” (I may have been just a little excited…..).

hudson, new york

hudson, new york

hudson, new york

We are definitely going back over the summer – the cafe has a sweet little patio out back where I am already dreaming of my next croissant. And turnover. And cookie……….

hudson, new york

Cafe le Perche
230 Warren Street
Hudson, NY 12534

If you’re planning a trip, I recommend this web site.

1. Melanie on April 23, 2012 at 8:24 am

What a fun day! Noah looked like he was having fun too…and loving that cookie. Great shots. I love the one of Chelsea and Noah.

2. Melanie on April 23, 2012 at 8:24 am

Oh yeah, and the pink building. so cool.

• sheri silver on April 23, 2012 at 2:06 pm

The boy is game for pretty much anything – and when his sister is with us? Heaven! I plan on photographing every single building on my next trip………….

3. Jennifer Cullen on April 23, 2012 at 8:53 am

I was lucky to be able to walk around Hudson once a few years ago when we were staying in Rhinebeck. What an awesome town. After reading this, I want to go back! Of course, the croissant looks great but so does the salad with apple!

• sheri silver on April 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I shocked myself by eating the salad first – it was as delicious as it was pretty!

4. Sandra on April 23, 2012 at 9:02 am

I think MORE of you that you would drive two hours for a croissant! It’s all about the experiences, baby. And architecture too. Did you want to stay for hours taking photos?

Missing the east coast architecture over here on the west coast…

• sheri silver on April 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Aw shucks! Yes, my daughter did one of those “Oh jeez, we’re NEVER going to get out of here now” looks when she saw my face, looking at the buildings. Fortunately for her we had some unpleasant weather and a tired toddler working in her favor. Hudson’s all mine come summer…………..

5. Lisa on April 23, 2012 at 9:22 am

What a wonderful day trip! The pictures of you and your kids are so beautiful! Hudson looks and sounds like a must-see! (another place I’m adding to “the list”!). What a charming place – I LOVE the turquoise door on the grey background! And ooooh – the treats!

• sheri silver on April 23, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks so much! I can’t wait to go back and really explore – this was too much of a tease!

6. Jill V / TerraSavvy on April 23, 2012 at 9:31 am

It is on my list of day trips also as you know and now I am bumping it to the top! YUMMMMMMMMM!

Great black & white photos! Love it!

xo

• sheri silver on April 23, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks so much – and yes, “BUMP” it! 🙂

7. Hotly Spiced on April 23, 2012 at 5:11 pm

What a lovely day out. I do hope they don’t have to clean the oven too often or that would be a lot of down-time for their business. The painted houses are very pretty. xx

• sheri silver on April 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Ironically, the first time we were planning to go (in February) they were closed for just that reason! I don’t know how often they have to do it but I will always call first to make sure!

8. Elisabeth Kinsey on April 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Thank you for the lovely pics and place! I loved the wedding I went to in Hudson. Such a quaint place.

• sheri silver on April 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Thank you! Yes, I’m truly smitten and can’t wait to go back!

9. Leslie on April 23, 2012 at 5:39 pm

It looks like a lovely place. And that croissant! Oh, my.

• sheri silver on April 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Yes, it was even better than it looked!

10. Punky on April 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Wow, that IS impressive sounding oven. Ten days to cool down?? Haha those bakers are smart…. “not only will we have a vintage oven from France, but we get ourselves a ten day vacation! Whoo hoo SPRING BREAK!!!”

No, but really, that bakery looks legit. Also, your son is adorables.

• sheri silver on April 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm